Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Round Pen and Ground Work

I have always been one of those that just gets on the horse and rides it out until the horse gives in. I have always said I can ride as fast and as far as the horse wants to run. Well.......My body isn't what it used to be and I had to find a more body friendly way to start my horses. Thats when I found the Round Pen, Monty Roberts, John Lyons and Pat Perelli. Now I'm no fool, I believe in non-resistant training, I have seen it work in my round pen, I don't totally believe what these guys do at a seminar is what they do at home. However, consistent Ground Work has saved whats left of my body. Cicely is a nine year old Mustang mare adopted from the BLM and was taged as a problem horse. I believe she was too old to be taken from the wild. The first time I tried to approach her she charged me and tried to pen me against a stall gate, which I very quickly jumped over.

It took three weeks to get her used to me and to let me work with her. The very first time I worked her in the Round Pen she responded just as Monty Roberts said she would. I was so excited I pushed the Saddle on her and almost got trampled. I backed off worked the program taking it slow and easy. I let her show me how far she was ready to go. We worked three hours a day for three weeks. When felt comfortable enough to mount her, there was no resistance, no buck, no run just total trust.

Read the books and work the process and most of all take your time. This will save your body for later years.

No comments: