Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Open Field Join-Up,,Almost

I was contacted by a local Doctor about his Two Year Old Filly. Doc had traded this two year old to a local trainer for a horse trailer. The problem was that this filly had no human contact since she was six months old and the trainer could not catch her.

Doc asked me to come look at the horse and see if I could help. She was a beautiful Tennessee Walking Horse and would come up with curiosity but when I would reach out for her she would back up just out of reach or hide behind another horse. I started to walk her down just to see how she would react. No interest in any contact what so ever.

Finally after about a half an hour I decided to separate her from the other horses. I was able to put the other horses up and keep her at bay. When she realized she was in the field alone she went nuts. Screaming and try to climb the gate.

I grabbed a rope and started to push her off the gate and into the field. Now that I had her in the open field I would push her by throwing the rope at her hind quarters. I would have to follow her and keep pushing for over an hour. Finally her inner ear was focused on me like a radar and she started a chewing motion with her mouth, I knew I had her and lightened up a little. It was hot, she and I were both tired and in need of water.

After a five minute break we started again. Same thing, ear focused and chewing of the mouth but I could never get her to bow or come to me no matter what.

Change of method. I roped her from the ground. As soon as the rope hit and went tight she took off burning my gloves. I would follow, Pick up the rope and try light pressure. Off she went. After about a half an hour she started to give in. I finally walked the length of the rope and got my hands on her for the first time. She was still very shy but did not run. After about five minutes I could rub her all over and was able to put the first halter on her of her life.

Once the halter was on I attached a lead rope, she still didn't run, but would not lead. I walked her in small circles bending her and forcing her to turn and follow my lead. She got comfortable but still would not move forward. Next move was to take a lounge whip and hold it behind me in my outside hand and as I would step forward I would flick her hind with the whip. She began to understand what I wanted and complied. By the time we were done I tossed the lead rope over her back and walk next to her. No matter where I went she stayed in step and at my side.

This was truely an exhilarating experience for me. I have accomplised similar in a round pen but never in an open field. I was blessed by this horse and am grateful for the experience.

El.